The Lent sermon series is titled: I Am. Lent has been practiced by God’s people for hundreds of years as a way to refocus our lives on Christ and to experience his renewing touch. This Lent as a community of Jesus we are going explore the “I Am” sayings of Jesus in the gospel of John. Our hope is that we will come to understand better who Jesus is and what being a disciple of Jesus means each day. You are invited to join others from Thornapple on a 40 day journey through the Gospel of John. There are three ways that you can access the Reading Plan as follows:
- Access the reading plan, scriptures and reflections written by Thornapple members online by clicking on: Thornapple Lent Reading Plan 2015.
- Pick up a daily scripture reading plan bookmark at the Welcome Center.
- Download and print a hard copy of the reading plan by, clicking here.
Below are the dates, topics and texts for the Sunday and special worship services during Lent. Childcare is provided during all services.
- February 18 Ash Wednesday - Giving Up; Matthew 6:1-6; 16-18
- February 22 - I Am the Light of the World; John 8:12-20
- March 1 - I Am the Bread of Life; John 6:30-51
- March 8 - I Am the Good Shepherd; John 10:1-21
- March 15 - I Am the Way, Truth and Life; John 14:1-14
- March 22 - I Am the Vine; John 15:1-17
- March 29 Palm Sunday - I Am the King; John 12:12-19
- April 2 Maundy Thursday - I Am the Servant; John 13:1-17
- April 3 Good Friday - I Am the Savior; John 19:1-37
- April 5 Easter Sunday - I Am the Resurrection; John 11:17-26; John 20:1-18
holy week 2015 schedule
Sunday, March 29 Palm Sunday: Worship services are at 9:00 am for contemporary worship and 10:30 am for blended worship. Childcare is provided.
Thursday, April 2 at 7:00pm: Maundy Thursday Communion service for all ages. Childcare will be provided.
Note: There will be no "stations of the cross" in 2015.
Friday, April 3 Good Friday:
- 12:00 pm: There will be an ecumenical service (area churches participate) at 12noon to 1:00pm on Good Friday. The location of this service will be annouced later.
- 8:00 pm: At Thornapple there will be a service at 8:00pm remembering Christ's death on the cross. Childcare will be provided.
Sunday, April 5 Easter: There will be two worship services on Easter as follows:
- 9:00 am for contemporary worship
- 10:30 am for blended worship
Childcare is provided. There are no adult, student or children's classes on Easter Sunday. Classes will resume on April 12.