Ministry to Nepali-Speaking Community
Jaymashi! Praise Jesus!
God is growing a Nepali-speaking Christian community at Thornapple!
Worship: You are invited to join in Thornapple’s Nepali language worship service, taking place from 10:30 to 11:45am in the Community Room every Sunday morning (through Sept. 4, 2017 the service time will be at 10am). All are welcome! Communion Service in Nepali lanugage takes place the first Sunday of every month. Our current sermon series is on the minor prophets (examples: Hosea, Joel, Amos, Malachi, etc...).
Saturday Fellowship/Discipleship/Worship Rehearsal (in Nepali language): Meets every Saturday. If you need a ride, call us (616.819.0765 - Tara Aryal), we will come pick you up! If you are interested in hosting this gathering in your home, please contact us - we would love to have you serve in this way.
Sunday School (in Nepali language): Meets the Sunday mornings prior to worship in the library right beside the Community Room (summer time meetings are as requested). Snacks, tea and coffee available.
Are you gifted in teaching? We would love to have you volunteer as a Sunday School teacher, evangelism/outreach/discipleship, leading children's/youth ministry or in worship leading, etc...
Find us on Facebook.
Senior Citizen Zoo Trip | Saturday, Sept. 16 for anyone 50 and older. Sign up Sunday mornings at church. Be ready for your ride by 1pm, we will be home by 5pm.
In 2008, Thornapple began a new ministry by assisting in the acculturation of a Bhutanese Nepali refugee family. After spending as long as twenty years living in refugee camps, families are settling into a new life. The Nepali-speaking community continues to grow as new families move to Grand Rapids.
Here at Thornapple we help Nepali-speaking families with basic needs (medical care, government paperwork, education, furnishings) as we share our friendship and faith with them.
God has richly blessed our church family by bringing this world of new friends to our doorstep.
Ongoing Needs: There are several ways/levels of commitment where you can help. Refer to the list below. Please contact Patty Dekker with your interest or questions at 957-0580.
- Drivers: The church will pay for you to get your CDL license. Church bus and van drivers (CDL required for bus drivers and no special license needed for van drivers) are needed on Sunday mornings. Praise God, more Nepali Christians are attending church thus the need for more drivers! Contact Greg Longworth to learn more.
- Medical visit transportation: We need people to drive folks to a medical appointment, a translator meets you at the office.
- Paperwork: Life in the US involves an overwhelming amount of paperwork! Assistance for food/medical, and Green card applications are ongoing. Could you commit to walk with a refugee through the process of completing 1 set of paperwork?
- Family liaison: Adjustment to life in the US takes several years and caring individuals are needed to meet regularly with a family in need helping them understand all of the complexities of their new life.
- Food Pantry: Our Nepali-speaking community uses our food pantry one or two times a month. Supplies are needed and can be donated to the Food Pantry. Please contact Patty Dekker if you can help with any of these items or have questions about the food pantry.
- Tutors/educational coaches are needed for adults and children in our Nepali-speaking community. The commitment would be for a once a week meeting during the school year. For information, please contact Elaine Graves.
- Discipleship: There are a few individuals who are ready and interested in one on one Bible study, and who have enough English that this could happen. We are looking for a few people who might commit to meeting weekly over a 6 week time frame to work through a basic Bible study program. Most of these people are Hindu, but have expressed an interest in learning about the Christian faith.