The Love Mercy Do Justice Ministry's goal is to encourage and enable the Thornapple family to reach beyond our walls to respond to needs in the urban community and to work to end injustices in our community and around the world. The name LOVE MERCY DO JUSTICE aligns us with our denomination. "From our inception the Covenant has been concerned with helping hurting people (love mercy), and addressing the causes of that hurt (do justice)." We join God in making things right in our broken world. He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8. Check out our Facebook page by clicking here.
If you would like to see what was accomplished through the work of the LMDJ ministry at Thornapple in 2017, click here. Below are other upcoming important dates and serving opportunities for 2018 so far:
- Thornapple serves dinner on the first Saturday of every month at Degage Ministries. Karen Knister oversees scheduling of the 8 volunteers needed for each time. If you would like to be added to our list of volunteers simply contact Karen. She sends emails out quarterly to find out who can work each of the Saturdays that we serve. No experience is necessary.
- Glenn VanNoord program - Application period begins March 1. Each summer Thornapple places students (juniors and seniors in high school and college students) in urban ministries in Grand Rapids to serve. To learn all about the program and how to apply, click here.
- Reverse Offering - On Sunday March 11, 2018 we will send baskets around in worship that have slips of paper in them with food items printed on them. Everyone is invited to take a slip of paper and then bring that food item to church the following Sunday. All the food will go to the Safe Haven Ministries home for abused women in GR. You can learn more by clicking here.
- Urban Plunge - Save the date for the next Urban Plunge: April 14, 2018! We will have a number of projects lined up in urban GR and everyone is invited to serve together. It's a great chance to help out at an urban ministry AND get to know others from Thornapple at the same time. To learn more and for registration links, click here.
- Justice Conference - October 13 and 14, 2018 with special speaker Dominique Dubois Gilliard. More details to come.
More general information:
- Justice- For some specific ideas and ministries related to justice efforts, click here.
- Urban - For a list of current urban ministry related ministries and volunteer opportunities, click here.
Below are the standards for how we choose community organizations to support:
- Must be a non-profit organization.
- Must serve the poor and needy in urban Grand Rapids or be a ministry that works to end injustices around the world.
- High percentage of funds directly benefit the poor (low overhead).
- Need for Thornapple support critical. We favor organizations where Thornapple’s support will make a difference.
- Volunteer opportunities available.
- Mission is Christian or consistent with Christianity.
- The Love Mercy Do Justice Team, exercises its judgment and may support organizations whose mission is not specifically Christian, but is consistent with Christian faith. Examples include Kids Food Basket (feeding hungry children) and the Kent Country Jail program (helping those in prison or families of those in prison).
- The majority of organizations we support have a Christian Mission.
Do you have questions about the Love Mercy Do Justice Ministry in general or would you like to join the team? Contact Marny Danz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 957-0580.