Getting to Know the Evangelical Covenant and the Process for Membership
If you would like to know more about Thornapple Covenant Church and the Evangelical Covenant Church denomination we recommend that you take our "What is a Covenant Church?" classes (3 part series) followed by the Thornapple Membership class (for those interested in joining the church). This series of classes is typically given twice a year. Scroll down to sign up for the next series.
The "What is a Covenant Church?" series is a three part series taught by our three Pastors. These classes are designed for people new to Thornapple Covenant Church to learn about the history and beliefs of the Evangelical Covenant Church. These classes are required for membership, in addition to the Membership class.
Membership: After taking the "What is a Covenant Church?" class, those wishing to join should plan to attend the Membership class (one class). It is a great opportunity to ask questions and listen to the staff and elders share about what it means to be a part of this church family. The class includes dinner and babysitting is available (just let us know in advance if you need it). You can request childcare when you register for the class.
The next three part series on "What is a Covenant Church?" is: May 2, 9, 16 from 6:30 to 8:00pm each night (sign up here). The next Membership class is May 20 from 4:00 to 6:00pm.
Membership Process: If you are interested in becoming a member of the church, here are the steps in the process:
- Attend the "What is a Covenant Church?" classes - typically offered twice a year in the fall and late winter/early spring.
- When you decide to join, next attend the Thornapple Covenant Church Membership class. These are scheduled soon after each "What is a Covenant Church?" series.
- If you would like to join, but have not been baptized, please contact one of the pastoral staff to discuss and schedule a baptism.
- Complete a membership application, which you can download on this page under Related Downloads. Submit the completed application to the church office. In addition, please e-mail a photograph to email@example.com (jpeg format), noting that you are a new member applicant. For couples, please send one photograph of both persons together.
- Next an elder will contact you to set up a time for you to meet with a small group of elders and share your faith story.
- After sharing your faith story, applications are presented for approval at the next regular scheduled elder meeting.
- New members are welcomed during a Sunday morning worship service. You will be given the date for this a few weeks in advance.
If you have any questions about the membership process please call our church office at 957-0580.
For ways to get to know others at Thornapple go to our Connecting to Community page.